April 2017 Meeting Minutes

Yahara Lakes Association, LTD

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:30 a.m.-1:15p.m

The Yahara Lakes Association Board of Directors held its regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday, April 13,2017 in the Associated Bank (3002 Fish Hatchery Rd) Conference room.

The following members and advisors were present: Dick Adler, Stuart Allbaugh, Roy Carter, Bill Fitzpatrick, Caroline Fribance, Mike Gerner, Carol Gillen, Allan Levin, Dick Pearson, Jerry Rekowski, Dan Schultz, John Tisserand and Sal Troia

Members and Advisors not present: Doug Bach, Annette Hellmer, Mike Jensen, James Tye, Debbie Waite, Parker Waller and Rhonda Arries

The meeting was called to order by President Allen Levin at 11:30 a.m.

Minutes: There were no minutes to be approved. President’s messages and motions:

1) President Levin indicated he attended the High Capacity Well hearing and filed opposition to the legislation on behalf of YLA YLA voted. Dan Schultz indicated a summary of the issue will be in the May newsletter. Sal Troia asked that our opposition to the bill be indicated in the newsletter article.

2) President Levin attended the Dane County Natural Hazard mitigation meeting. He indicated the biggest concerns at the meeting related to flooding. The individuals from Cherokee Marsh felt Lake Mendota lake levels should be lower. Annual Meeting:

3) The motion was made by President Levin and seconded by Joe Tisserand to send Thank you note and complementary invites to the Annual Meeting to donors who have contributed $1,000 or more. The motion was approved by the board.

4) Motion was made by Carol Gillen and seconded by Sal Troia to nominate Peter Foy from FOLKS and James Tye from CLA each as Citizens of the Year. If Peter Foy is a YLA member, he would be made Member of the Year. Motion was approved. We also discussed asking Peter Foy to discuss the Lake Kegonsa Carp removal program at the Annual meeting

5) The motion was made by Roy Carter and seconded by Dick Adler to provide 2 complementary invites to the Annual Meeting to both Joe Parisi, Dane County Exec and Sharon Corrigan, County Board Chair.

6) Dick Adler asked that all board members get at least one door prize for the meeting. Carol asked that Rhonda be informed of any gift obtained so thank you notes can be sent out.

7) Sal Troia discussed a document prepared by Mike Jensen regarding a proposal for a pilot study to hire college students to contact 50 lake property owners to discuss membership in YLA. The proposal included offering free memberships to each lake owner interview. There were some questions on why we would offer a free membership if we were testing a method to recruit members. Joe Tisseraned moved and Sale Troia seconded a motion to allow up to $500 to fund the study. Motion was approved.

8) Roy discussed a proposal to provide YLA lake signs. He indicated it would cost $1000 for 250 signs. There were some concerns expressed about the wording on the signs and whether this was too similar to what CLA is doing. No action was taken.

9) There was no report on the Facebook proposal as Parker Waller was absent.

10) Carol Gillen and Rhonda Aries researched ways to improve our newsletters. Carol discussed the changes that are being made to the newsletter. They are looking to add an Ask the Experts section, How to Articles, and Top 10 lists in addition to the normal articles. The May newsletter will have a discussion on how to maintain your lawn in a lake friendly way, an update on the repairs to the Tenny Locks, and on the Lake Kegonsa Carp removal program.

11) Sal Troia discussed the financial report. Carol Gillen motioned and Mike Gerner seconded the motion to approve the financial report. Motion was approved.

12) The board discussed the Dane County Nutrient Concentration program. Mike Gerner indicated that bids were solicited and the program is moving forward.

13) YLA has a table at the May 3rd CLA breakfest. The board members were told to contact Rhonda if they are interested in a seat at the table.

14) Carole Fribance introduced the idea that YLA should develop a “project” for YLA members that will engage our membership. She discussed the idea of having members monitoring and keeping gutters clean or something similar. This led to a discussion on developing value items for our members, like a handout pamphlet on best practices for homeowners to maintain lake quality, or on pier rules, or shoreline zoning etc. Sal Troia will talk to the Nelson Institute about help in developing this Lake Guides.

Meeting Adjourned at 1:15