Yahara Lakes Association, Ltd.
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Thursday, May 9, 2019 11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
The Yahara Lakes Association Board of Directors held its regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday, May 9, 2019, in the Verex Building (150 E. Gilman Street) Yahara Conference room.
The following members and advisors were present: Dick Adler, Eric Englund, Caroline Fribance, Carol Gillen, Annette Hellmer, Allan Levin, Eric Olson, Dick Pearson, Nancy Peckham, Jerry Rekowski, Dave Silverberg, Joe Tisserand, Sal Troia, James Tye, Eric Vieth, and Brenda Matthias
Members and advisors not present: Stuart Allbaugh, Roy Carter, Bill Fitzpatrick, and Dan Schultz
11:30 a.m. Call to Order: President, Sal Troia, called the meeting to order at 11:30 a.m.
11:30 a.m. Executive Session: Sal Troia
• Sal Troia and Dick Pearson to meet with James Tye, Becky Mitchell, and Paul Dearlove on April 18th to discuss the joint letter.
o James Tye agreed that YLA should have a partnership role in generating the letter and materials going forward.
o Becky Mitchell provided a breakdown of the letter expenses.
• YLA will ask Clean Lakes for the Riparian list they used for the joint letter
• We will move forward with paying the $2,575 invoice from Clean Lakes for the joint letter.
12:03 p.m. Treasurer Report - Sal Troia provided the Treasurer’s report in Dan Schultz’s absence:
• There are three items that account for the loss that is reflected on the financials –
o Individual membership is down by $5,150 from 2018. The first direct dues request for 2019 was made on April 10th and the second request was sent on April 30th. To date we have received 65 payments so we are making progress getting back on track. Retaining our members is a critical issue and is something Jerry Rekowski and his committee will be working on.
o $2,000 was paid to transition the YLA website to the SquareSpace platform.
o Contract Service Fees included an extra payment of $800 which was paid to Rhonda Arries for an additional board meeting in February, double contract service fees in March for Rhonda’s and Brenda’s services, and $2,450 for transition and setup to the new administrative assistant.
• Dick Adler made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report. Dave Silverberg seconded the motion. Motion passed.
12:16 p.m. April Minutes:
• Joe Tisserand made a motion to accept the April 11, 2019 meeting minutes as corrected. Allan Levin seconded the motion. Motion passed.
12:18 p.m. Marketing & Communications Committee – Nancy Peckham
• Brenda Matthias added our mission to the “about” section of the YLA Facebook along adding the Annual Dinner event.
• A request was made that all board members who are on Facebook invite friends to like and follow the YLA Facebook page.
• Carol Gillen and Brenda Matthias have been working on the May Newsletter and the electronic version was sent and the printed version will be mailed shortly.
• There is a monthly publication “Lakeshore Living” that we could maybe utilize to promote YLA.
12:22 p.m. Membership Retention and Recruitment – Jerry Rekowski
• The committee will be meeting with Sal Troia and Brenda Matthias to develop a plan on how to handle membership renewals and new member recruitment in 2020.
• From the CLA & YLA joint mailing we have 9 renewals and 23 new members.
12:30 p.m. YLA Insurance Protection – Jerry Rekowski
• Dave Silberberg made a motion to purchase a Directors & Officer insurance policy and a General Liability policy. Joe Tisserand seconded the motion. Motion passed.
o D&O policy will cost $744 annually and will have coverage of $1 million
o General Liability policy will cost $137 annually
12:54 p.m. Legislative & Legal Committee – Caroline Fribance
• Allan Levin made a motion to move forward with forming a 501(c)3 YLA organization. Nancy Peckham seconded the motion. Motion passed.
o By having the 501(c)3 status it will allow YLA to take advantage of raising money through donations that are deductible.
o One requirement of having the 501(c)3 status, YLA would need to do more charity work and not just serve YLA members
• We will also maintain the YLA 501(c)4 status.
1:05 p.m. Lake Levels & Flow Committee – Eric Veith
• Prepared summary of Lake Level Task Force recommendations for May Newsletter.
1:08 p.m. Events Committee (Annual Dinner) – Dick Adler & Joe Tisserand
• The Annual Dinner will be Tuesday, June 18 at Blackhawk Country Club.
• Joe Tisserand reminded all board members to solicit for door prizes and raffle items.
• A Thank You note will be sent for all donations. As door prizes and raffle items are secured, email Brenda with the contact info and item description.
1:18 p.m. Meeting adjourned.
Next meeting date is July 11th, 2019 at American Family Insurance on E. Washington.