Yahara Lakes Association, Ltd.
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
The Yahara Lakes Association Board of Directors held its regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday, February 14, 2019, in the Verex Building (150 E. Gilman Street) Yahara Conference room.
The following members and advisors were present: Roy Carter, Carol Gillen, Annette Hellmer, Allan Levin, Eric Olson, Dick Pearson, Nancy Peckham, Jerry Rekowski, Dan Schultz, Joe Tisserand, Sal Troia, Eric Vieth and Rhonda Arries
Members and advisors not present: Dick Adler, Stuart Allbaugh, Bill Fitzpatrick, Caroline Fribance, Dave Silverberg and James Tye
11:33 a.m.Call to Order: President Elect, Sal Troia, called the meeting to order at 11:33 a.m.
11:34 a.m.Executive Session: Sal Troia
· Lakeside chats: Jerry Rekowski’s committee will be coordinating these chats. Clean Lakes would like to hold joint chats in June and July. Jerry felt the chats should be held sooner than that and should involve discussion re: lake levels and flooding. Jerry envisions the chats aiding in building and retaining the membership base. Therefore, Jerry recommends declining Clean Lakes partnership in the chats and having 2 YLA listening sessions – the first chat is proposed to be held in April - inviting all riparians and likely to be held at Stoughton Country Club or Green Lantern. The Lake Level Task Force recommendations will be available in mid-April so it would be best to schedule a chat shortly after that. Joe Tisserand made a motion to schedule the first chat in mid- to late-April with a budget up to $500. Dan Schultz seconded the motion. Motion passed.
· A reminder that the March 12 Symposium will feature John Reimer and Eric Vieth as speakers. Dan Schultz has set up the American Family auditorium which holds 300 but Dan asks that RSVPs be limited to 250. Dan noted YLA members have first priority to RSVP by March 1 – after that, it can be opened up to other lake organizations. Dan asked that board members take his brief summary report and talk with neighbors to get them to attend the symposium as well as join YLA. Dan will be on holiday until two days prior to the event so Joe Tisserand will be the managing the event follow-up in Dan’s absence. Allan Levin will provide Joe with 2-3 YLA yard signs to help direct attendees to the parking area. Dan asked Rhonda to also include the parking lot instructions from last year’s event. Carol Gillen stated she would post the event on nextdoor.com after March 1st. Nancy Peckham and Jerry Rekowski will forward the invite to other lake organizations and neighborhood associations.
· Sal Troia noted the Clean Lakes joint mailing may not be meeting expectations. Jerry Rekowski noted that Clean Lakes and YLA each have its own message and thinks it might be best to move forward with a separate mailing. Dan concurred with Jerry and noted that YLA interests and messaging are different from Clean Lakes i.e. lake levels and flooding as it relates to riparians vs Clean Lakes strictly focused on phosphorous. Joint letters may be effective if they’re written very specifically. Sal Troia will meet with James Tye and talk about a separate (second) letter from YLA to be sent in the joint mailing. Roy Carter made a motion for YLA to, once again, be a sponsor for Clean Lakes annual breakfast which includes a table for YLA attendees as well as inclusion in the joint mailing. Joe Tisserand seconded the motion. Motion passed.
12:05 p.m John Reimer, Assistant Director – Dane County Land and Water Resources Department, gave an update on the Technical Group report presented to the Lake Level Task Force and answered questions. Sal Troia instructed Rhonda Arries not to take notes during this session.
12:55 p.m. Marketing & Communications Committee – Nancy Peckham
§ Nancy noted the website redesign has taken place. Her committee will meet tomorrow to review and approve the new site and migrate it to YLA’s host/server. She estimates the new site will be up and running by the end of March.
§ Nancy discussed a free teleconference service to aid in participation for committees and board meetings. Board members could dial in to attend various meetings which could increase attendance, be more efficient and keep everyone up-to-date. Dan Schultz made a motion for Nancy Peckham to purchase a bluetooth speaker (up to $200) for YLA to own and use. Roy Carter seconded the motion. Motion passed. Future agendas will contain the dial-in information for those that can’t physically attend the meeting.
1:05 p.m. New board member prospects: Dan Schultz, Caroline Fribance and Dave Silverberg met to talk about increasing YLA’s lobbying involvement. Dan has spoken with and recommends Eric Englund who lives on Lake Mendota and is retired and has lobbying connections. Dan would like to recommend Eric to the YLA board and possibly to be on the Legislative Committee. Eric’s bio was passed around the board members. Carol Gillen asked Dan to also email Eric’s bio to the board for a more thorough review. Joe Tissrand made a motion to approve Eric Englund as a YLA board member to fill one of the two open board positions. Jerry Rekowski seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Allan Levin also talked with a potential board candidate - Robert J. Smith who lives on Lake Mendota and is interested in serving on the YLA board. Allan referred board members to www.akerman.comto review his credentials and background. More discussion on this potential candidate will continue at the March board meeting.
1:15 p.m.January Board Meeting Minutes: Allan Levin requested that the minutes be revised regarding Sal Troia’s and Dan Schultz’s meeting with Laura Hicklin and Pam Porter – he will provide the revisions to Rhonda Arries. Joe Tisserand made a motion to accept the January 10, 2019 meeting minutes with the edits Allan Levin will provide. Dan Schultz seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1:18 p.m. Dan Schultz provided the Treasurer’s Budget report:
· The 2019 Budget draft was presented with Income of $24,470, Expenses of $27,710 for a Net Ordinary Income of ($3,240). Donations of $7,500 and Interest Income of $50 provide a budgeted Net Income of $4,310 vs $7,832 in 2018.
· The budget assumes Membership of 31 businesses and 350 individual members
· Allan Levin made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Budget report. Joe Tisserand seconded the motion. Motion passed.
1:25 p.m. Dan Schultz made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Joe Tisserand seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Next meeting date is March 14, 2019
2019 Schedule (Verex Bldg 150 E. Gilman St. 4th Flr 11:30 am – 1:15 pm, 2nd Thursday):
** June 18 Annual Dinner **
** No board meetings held in June, August or Decemb